Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Don't know what else to do! EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Don't know what else to do! EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Don't know what else to do! EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Don't know what else to do! EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Don't know what else to do! EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Don't know what else to do! EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Don't know what else to do! EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Don't know what else to do! EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Don't know what else to do! EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Don't know what else to do! EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Don't know what else to do! EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Don't know what else to do! EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Don't know what else to do! EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Don't know what else to do! EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Don't know what else to do! EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Don't know what else to do!

+3
Sad American
elvis44102
serhardt25
7 posters

Go down

Don't know what else to do! Empty Don't know what else to do!

Post by serhardt25 Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:45 pm

Hi everyone,
I am one of the many people who were cut off from EUC. I work only 5 days a month since I am only an on call employee. Now I don't know what to do anymore because of the current employment situation in the USA today. I completed a B.S. degree in biology in three years and worked hard all my life and I have valuable skills. However, the problem is clear, I am too old to be considered for anything because I am well over 40 years of age. Moreover, I have $45,000 worth of student loans to pay back starting next month. I am all out of deferments and forbearance and I have been applying for jobs like you wouldn't believe!! If I were a 20 year old this would be no problem, but I do not stand a chance today.
Something needs to happen to put people back to work and I am truly surprised that there has been no civil unrest. But, it looks to me that nobody really cares if they even have a job or not and I find this very troubling. Well, it looks like I am going to have to resort to dishonest methods in order for myself to survive this very long period of unemployment/underemployment. Yes, I do hear about how the economy is improving, but a net gain of 236,000 jobs is pitiful and when the economy really starts to improve, I will be way too old by then. So, there you have it the new American way!!!

serhardt25

Back to top Go down

Don't know what else to do! Empty Re: Don't know what else to do!

Post by elvis44102 Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:19 pm

Welcome to the forum!.....
I am 58 yrs young and owe $52,000 in student loans
they have been in forbearance/deferment for seven years now and i haven't paid a dime yet. they are also still in good standing.

You are not to old! I beieve you can borrow more money as you dont appear to have reached the limit.

We don't believe any of the employment numbers around here i get a few multi-month contracts here and there in the IT field, and was lucky enough to get on unemployment again (now ended EUC-2014)

the politicians will probably renew extensions for at least three months by the end of January...

do not let other people define you and keep a positive attitude nothing lasts forever good or bad...
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by Sad American Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:46 am

elvis44102 wrote:Welcome to the forum!.....
I am 58 yrs young and owe $52,000 in student loans
they have been in forbearance/deferment for seven years now and i haven't paid a dime yet. they are also still in good standing.

You are not to old! I beieve you can borrow more money as you dont appear to have reached the limit.

We don't believe any of the employment numbers around here i get a few multi-month contracts here and there in the IT field, and was lucky enough to get on unemployment again (now ended EUC-2014)

the politicians will probably renew extensions for at least three months by the end of January...

do not let other people define you and keep a positive attitude nothing lasts forever good or bad...

DITTO... and thanks, Elvis...
Sad American
Sad American

Back to top Go down

Post by jmainframe Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:35 am

serhardt25 wrote:Something needs to happen to put people back to work and I am truly surprised that there has been no civil unrest. But, it looks to me that nobody really cares if they even have a job or not and I find this very troubling.

There have been some small instances of civil unrest, like the Occupy Wall Street movement, and the fast food/retail workers demanding higher wages, but nothing like what occurred over in Europe. I supposed the problem here was lack of leadership that was necessary in order to organize the millions of displaced workers, and then to schedule the marches, protests, and rallies necessary to get the government's attention, since the faxes, phone calls, and tweats to our representatives began to fall on "deaf ears".

We can only hope that things start to improve. Companies will have no choice but to start hiring in order to meet demand if the economy maintains sustained growth over several months, and the certainty companies look for in order for them to plan ahead and expand their businesses.
jmainframe
jmainframe

Back to top Go down

Post by marrer Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:37 pm

About the only ones l see here are the over 40-ers.  And not just here but at the Unemployment Office too.  I attend the seminars and workshops and events ...every other person in line with me is also over 40.  

Like Elvis said, none of us here believe the unemployment numbers.  We did what we were told.  We played by the rules.  What happened is that bosses/companies/government(s) were forces to own up to their own promises and they didn't like that so they changed the rules.

The House Always Wins.    That applies EveryWhere, not just Vegas.
marrer
marrer

Back to top Go down

Post by oncemore Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:26 pm

We can always vote for the same fools we voted into office again and hope for a different outcome , might as well beat your head against a brick wall to see if it hurts !

Don't know what else to do! Cid_6312

oncemore

Back to top Go down

Post by jmainframe Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:50 pm

oncemore wrote:We can always vote for the same fools we voted into office again and hope for a different outcome , might as well beat your head against a brick wall to see if it hurts !

And the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results. And to say that our nation's government has lost it's collective mind is a gross understatement.
jmainframe
jmainframe

Back to top Go down

Post by oncemore Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:14 pm

jmainframe wrote:
oncemore wrote:We can always vote for the same fools we voted into office again and hope for a different outcome , might as well beat your head against a brick wall to see if it hurts !

And the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results. And to say that our nation's government has lost it's collective mind is a gross understatement.

Exactly what i was saying , voting for the same people over & over keeping them in office for 20,30,40 years IS INSANE !
As far as collective minds , it's more like to many collective pet peeves with each other !

oncemore

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateMyCV Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:24 pm

Hey guys,
I'm sure you've already done this, but on your resume, try and make it age neutral and more focused on your skills. Employers are age discriminatory, and that's the sad truth.

But you can get passed that if your resume is polished enough. If anyone wants any help, feel free to pm me

CreateMyCV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum