Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
June 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job

3 posters

Go down

Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job Empty Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job

Post by Hunterforjobs Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:31 pm

Thought this was interesting. Put out by the University of Phoenix.

http://www.phoenixfocus.com/2013-01/interview-mistakes/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social%2Bmedia&utm_campaign=jan13

Mistake: You don’t ask for the job.

Why it matters: If you don’t let a prospective employer know you want the job, she might give it to someone who does.

How to overcome it: The end of an interview is not the time to be coy about what you want. If you’re excited about the job and want it, let the interviewer know. “Close the deal,” advises Shaurette. “Say, ‘The search is over. It’s no secret that I want this job,’” she suggests.

Beshara also recommends the direct approach: “Say, ‘There is no reason to interview [other] people. I am the guy you ought to hire.’ Then ask, ‘What do I need to do to get the job?’”

In the end, with the right combination of preparation, poise and persistence, you can send a loud-and-clear message to prospective employers that you’re the right person for the job.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job Empty Re: Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job

Post by MarilynL Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:00 pm

I've always wanted to do this, but I've been at the other end in hiring others, and I'm not sure I would've appreciated someone saying this to me. I do agree that expressing your interest for the job is a good thing, but to suggest that the HR (who does a lot of the interviewing) that they don't have to look any further...not sure I would say those exact words. I don't like "cocky" people myself, therefore I don't want to come off that way to others ...but that's just me. And.... in a high paying position that maybe acceptable, it may show an employer that you can assert yourself when need be...but I'm not aiming for those big salaried positions that get away with that...lol

During interviews I have brought up names of people who were already employed there, or relatives names that I knew they knew...but I wasn't even comfortable doing that..it's like "name dropping" and expressing an assumption that the HR person was should hire me on that basis alone...not sure the HR person would appreciate that assumption of them. Again these are just my opinions.

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job Empty Re: Common interview mistakes that could keep you from getting the job

Post by Lynn132 Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:22 am

Good information. Smile
"What do I need to do to get this job"....um this may backfire on you. I agree that it may come off as being to desperate or cocky and a sure way to get a resume tossed in the trash. Im sure it can be said in more professional way.

Lynn132

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:17 am

I don't know about you Lynn..but maybe I am too darn old, and I still revert back to the way I used to apply for jobs years ago, and got hired...being polite, interested, professional, and friendly. I didn't know we had to go back to school just to find out how to deliver yourself during an interview...or is it that all these instructions, and methods people are coming up with is just another way of them making money...click on their link, and they get paid.

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:10 pm

I do not get paid.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:40 pm

Hunterforjobs wrote:I do not get paid.

No, I didn't mean you...lol...I meant those who write these articles and post on the internet...lol...I apologize if you thought I meant you.

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down