Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Eligibility Question EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Eligibility Question EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Eligibility Question EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Eligibility Question EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Eligibility Question EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Eligibility Question EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Eligibility Question EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Eligibility Question EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Eligibility Question EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Eligibility Question EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Eligibility Question EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Eligibility Question EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Eligibility Question EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Eligibility Question EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Eligibility Question EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Eligibility Question

3 posters

Go down

Eligibility Question Empty Eligibility Question

Post by JoanB Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi fellow Pennsylvanians. I'm about to get laid off from a temporary job and am wondering if I will be eligible for UC benefits. Here are my facts:

I was on Tier 3 UC when I started working on Oct. 20, 2010

My last day with this job is March 11, 2011.

I worked for 21 weeks and made enough money for them all to be counted as weeks.

I'm guessing that unless the extension of my old claim will kick back in, I am not eligible because I don't have enough weeks in the base year that they will count. Can anyone help me figure this out?

Thanks!
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Eligibility Question Empty Re: Eligibility Question

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:45 pm

Last edited by gettheminNOVEMBER on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:46 pm

JoanB wrote:Hi fellow Pennsylvanians. I'm about to get laid off from a temporary job and am wondering if I will be eligible for UC benefits. Here are my facts:

I was on Tier 3 UC when I started working on Oct. 20, 2010

My last day with this job is March 11, 2011.

I worked for 21 weeks and made enough money for them all to be counted as weeks.

I'm guessing that unless the extension of my old claim will kick back in, I am not eligible because I don't have enough weeks in the base year that they will count. Can anyone help me figure this out?

Thanks!

If you are not eligible to open a new claim, you will go back where you left off on Tier 3. They may recalculate your benefit to include the earnings from your 21 week temp job. In order to reactivate, you must call them.

Good luck! That 21 weeks of temp work will fill in the gaps on your resume and hopefully help you find full-time permanent employment soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:46 pm

You should go back on Tier3 where you left off seeing as you never finished out the Tiers and they are into law.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:56 pm

Thanks everyone. Believe me, I am thankful for the job while it lasted. It was in my field, paid pretty well, and I was able to put a little away. And as you say, having a more recent job on my resume is huge, as we all know.

So if you're on Tier 3, how does that extension that they passed at the end of December affect benefits?
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:59 pm

JoanB wrote:Thanks everyone. Believe me, I am thankful for the job while it lasted. It was in my field, paid pretty well, and I was able to put a little away. And as you say, having a more recent job on my resume is huge, as we all know.

So if you're on Tier 3, how does that extension that they passed at the end of December affect benefits?

It was a deadline extension. You will be able to finish out the maximum number of weeks your state allows either 93 or 99 depending on your states unemployment rate. If its over 8.5 then you get the max of 99 weeks.
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:16 pm

Thanks again, getthem. Sorry I keep thinking up new questions, but what period of time do they look at for the unemployement rate to make the 93 or 99 week determination? For example, if I were eligible for UC this week, would they look at February's rate, or wait until I'm eligible for Tier 4 and look at what the rate is then, or...?
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:29 pm

JoanB wrote:Thanks again, getthem. Sorry I keep thinking up new questions, but what period of time do they look at for the unemployement rate to make the 93 or 99 week determination? For example, if I were eligible for UC this week, would they look at February's rate, or wait until I'm eligible for Tier 4 and look at what the rate is then, or...?

I go by this link if you look at PA its at 8.5 so you are on the edge. If on its next update it goes down to 8.4 tier four will be gone. It happened in NY. If you are on Tier 4 already you will be able to finish it out.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/laus.nr0.htm
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:12 am

So say I'm on my last week of Tier 3 and the rate goes down enough so that Tier 4 goes away...then does that mean that the 21 weeks I worked don't get me another claim because they happened in the wrong base year for me?
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:28 am

If TierIV isnt available then you should be eligible for 20 weeks of Extended state benefits or better known as (EB) providing your state meets the requirements for EB. PA does right now.
I suggest contacting your states employment office for more exact info. It all depends on your particular situation.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:44 am

Thanks Jobless. My job ends Friday next week and I figured that they wouldn't tell me anything until then. I was just trying to see if I could find out anything before then so I wouldn't have to worry so much. But from what you guys are saying, it looks probable that I'd at the very least have a few weeks of UC--I drew about 72 weeks from before, but not sure how many of the weeks that would be 93-72 or 99-72 would be Tier III.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:01 pm

JoanB wrote:Thanks Jobless. My job ends Friday next week and I figured that they wouldn't tell me anything until then. I was just trying to see if I could find out anything before then so I wouldn't have to worry so much. But from what you guys are saying, it looks probable that I'd at the very least have a few weeks of UC--I drew about 72 weeks from before, but not sure how many of the weeks that would be 93-72 or 99-72 would be Tier III.

It all depends on that 8.5 number. They should be updating it soon. What is worse they don't count people that have run out of benefits. The unemployment is really much higher than they report.

I would call they unemployment office you might have enough weeks for a new claim.

Just an FYI Tier 4 is 6 weeks. So if your states unemployment rate drops below 8.5 then you will only get the 93 weeks.
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:42 pm

Well, got the dreaded Notice of Financial Determination came today, and it says "you are not financially eligible for benefits." That was one thing I did not expect. I applied on the web site, and I'm thinking that maybe I did it the wrong way and it got processed as a new claim instead of reopening the old one where I'd be on Tier III.

So now I'm wondering if calling them would help instead of having to go through the appeal process. Anyway, it seems like appeals are for a dispute with a former employer about eligibility, not this kind of situation. I guess I'd better call.

I did see the bad news about Tier IV going away. But I think I should still have some of Tier III left and it can't be right that I'm not eligible for any benefits.

On the bright side, I had a serious interview this week, and heard from the recruiter that I made the final cut for consideration. And this was after taking a 2-1/2 hour online test, too. It's a direct, "permanent" full-time job with benefits. I'd give myself a 1 in 3 chance, and as you all know, in this job market, you can't ask for better than that.

Thanks again.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:44 pm

Yikes, I'm such a dope! You guys said before to call them! I should have reread this thread before I applied online!

Well, I'll just have to call and try to straighten this out.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:50 pm

Good luck Joan...I am praying for you to get the job! Praying

Calling is the best bet. Maybe there was a processing mistake. I hope it all works out for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:29 am

Thanks S&T. Prayers for you and your family too.

I called today and was told that I have 5 weeks of Tier III and then have to call to see if there is still PA EB at that time. She seemed to be hinting that there would be a very good chance that EB could be going away too.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:39 am

PA's EB triggers off when the state's unemployment rate hits 8%. In reality, I can't see that happening, however, the way they calculate and report these numbers is beyond comprehension. Just my opinion.

Good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:00 am

Well, I didn't get that job. Thought I had a pretty good shot at it, but the recruiter said that one guy beat me out for it. I guess coming in second isn't so bad, even it it means not getting the job. It was a pretty good "professional" job with some fairly demanding requirements, so maybe that #1 guy's out of my way now and I'll get the next one that comes along somewhere. Or maybe that's B.S., but that's how I choose to look at it to get me through it.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum