Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
How do we organize? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
How do we organize? EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
How do we organize? EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
How do we organize? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
How do we organize? EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
How do we organize? EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
How do we organize? EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
How do we organize? EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
How do we organize? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
How do we organize? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
How do we organize? EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
How do we organize? EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
How do we organize? EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
How do we organize? EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
How do we organize? EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

How do we organize?

3 posters

Go down

How do we organize? Empty How do we organize?

Post by WPA Today Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:28 pm

Hi Everyone,

Question: How do the unemployed, under-employed, and mal-employed organize? Is it even possible?

We know, from history, that it's very hard for disenfranchised groups to organize and work cohesively. But what if a good portion of the un-, under-, and mal-employed could organize? And demonstrate, march, get politicians to introduce bills, have a lobbyist, vote as a block, etc.

Can you imagine that? 5 million, or 10 million, or 30 million people, working and voting together?

I think it can be done, but good organization is essential. OWS was great, but I think they could have accomplished more by having a set strategy and better organization.

So anyway, how can it be done (IF it can be done)?

--Brent, www.wpatoday.org

WPA Today

Back to top Go down

How do we organize? Empty Re: How do we organize?

Post by DesperateInRI Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi Brent! Welcome back and thanks for all your hard work trying to create a new WPA to help us out of this recession! I hope members will post some creative organizing ideas. New work and training programs are needed NOW to help millions of us get our lives back. Temporary band-aids, like unemployment benefit extensions have done nothing. It's time to go back and take a look at a new version of the WPA, which helped our country recover from The Great Depression. The work that was done back then still benefits us today!
DesperateInRI
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by USA Citizen Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:35 pm

Hi Brent and DesperateInRI,

I've talked with many people and sent emails and have done online chats with others, but this organizing process seems to break down. It might become focused on an election, or candidates that can help the process of getting extended unemployment compensation, but as time goes on those involved get worn out and go onto other things. Organizing across the nation is something that takes people who have time or have funding to make the time. Most of the information is created by think tanks that have grants, etc, but for all of their good works there are few deeds that have produced results for the unemployed. A Works Projects Administration is what is needed. I got thousands of signatures on a petition to help the unemployed, but that didn't help. Forums help people share information that can be helpful, but forums are often just the place, often the only place, where the unemployed can blow off steam. I have tried to make contact with others to help organize efforts to help the unemployed, but am still waiting for others to step up.

One of the biggest problems I see in regard to this problem is the lack of a clearing house for the information so that accurate advice is available to the newly unemployed and those out of work for years and who may need training or placement. Perhaps there are resources available. We have the internet for goodness sake. Why can't we organize and provide help to those who need information and guidance? I have personally written over 70 pages of advice for those who need help and advice, but reading that much just to find a paragraph that is useful is too difficult. Links to shelters and other resources get old fast and programs are born and die too often to be relied upon without constant checking. There is a great need to organize. The lack of organization creates confusion and even despair. The lack of organization allows the unemployed to fall through the cracks and become homeless and a burden to society. The government seems to be in paralysis in regard to the unemployment issue. The numbers are cooked and do not reflect the huge number of people who want work but have left the workforce because they can't find work. Perhaps we need a information packed website with clickable links to resources that is tailored to specific questions. The answers are out there. What we need is a set of questions that can be organized and answered by those who know or have been in the same situation.
Best regards,
USA Citizen

Robert Reich: We Need a New WPA and CCC
http://my.firedoglake.com/ohiogringo/2011/06/12/robert-reich-we-need-a-new-wpa-and-ccc/

A New WPA?
—By Kevin Drum
http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2009/12/new-wpa

The New New Deal - The WPA fixed the economy by creating unusual careers. Should that be the plan for today's unemployed Americans?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2009/01/19/the-new-new-deal.html

Works Progress Administration
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Works_Progress_Administration

WPA Today
http://www.wpatoday.org/
USA Citizen
USA Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by WPA Today Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:10 pm

USA Citizen: Wow, that is a great analysis regarding organization of the unemployed (or, lack thereof).

Well, you have my website, and if you go to the "About Me" page, you'll see my contact info. Please keep me abreast of any initiatives or ideas you have.

It does seem ridiculous that this many frustrated people cannot get together and work together to change things.

--Brent

WPA Today

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum