Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job? EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job? EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job? EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job? EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job? EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job? EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job? EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job? EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job? EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job? EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job? EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job?

2 posters

Go down

Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job? Empty Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job?

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:32 am

By Eve Tahmincioglu
Some online schools are offering desperate jobs seekers the world. But don’t sign up before you do your homework.
Promises you’ll end up in your dream job or make big bucks once you graduate, may end up to be empty, warned Allison Linn, TODAY.com’s senior reporter who has covered how degrees impact employability. She was on hand to answer readers’ questions about the topic during our live web chat Wednesday.

http://lifeinc.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/06/12089087-will-an-online-degree-help-you-get-dream-job#.T8-x9POtUZ0.twitter

Back to top Go down

Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job? Empty Re: Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job?

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:58 pm

I'm sorry but I'm in an exceptional "daaah?" mood tonight. What's the point here? The olive oil in the author's hair or the author's olive oil "like we don't know this already" article.

Why don't we change this up with detailing the still existing federal money available for a vast amount of MICROSOFT. CISCO, PMI, etc $$$ that is available to ALL unemployed and once completed will command $80 - $140K easily?

YOUR TURN. Why don't we??? What's up here. Just wasteland blabber???

I can take it. Please respond.

Back to top Go down

Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job? Empty Re: Caution: Will An Online Degree Help you Get Dream Job?

Post by Guest Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:48 am

I don't think this article is referencing the kind of training provided by legitimate businesses, colleges and vocational schools. I believe it is directed at those phony schools that are advertised on television all the time. They make many promises, are very costly and NOT accredited. When you finish, you don't actually have a recognized college degree.

I agree, however, that the unemployed MUST take advantage of any training provided by WIA funding, which all states have right now, before it runs out very soon. If we let opportunities like that go by after years of unemployment, we deserve what we get. The only problem is that most states don't advertise this training opportunity at their unemployment offices, you really have to read the fine print to find out what is available. Better hurry, though, the funding is just about to run dry!!

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:28 am

i have a friend who is a drug/alcohol counselor, the requirements are always changing.....years ago simple state/fed certification was all that was required...finally they were given 6 years to get at least an assoc degree....the online degree was sufficient....of course you would think 20+ years of actually doing the job would be sufficient....wrong....

Microsoft, Cisco certs etc are nice but nobody hires anybody straight out of certification class/test.....you still have to pass the certification tests
which can be studied for free of charge as all the iformation is all free on the internet and actually more up to date...
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:23 am

I agree, Elvis. Getting a certification does require passing the test.

Learning through to taking certifications is available in many states by way of Fed Gov funding to that state... usually for a max of about 5K. And I'm not referring to PELL grants at all.

All it takes is researching one's state labor sites, or calling the employment office, and finding out the funding available and the huge number of course that are being provided... some like Six Sigma Yellow/Green/Black certs completely online... no need to use gas!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:03 pm

That's true, Alone, and these courses are from accredited colleges and universities, not the ones that advertise on television.

This is all from the WIA funding, which will soon be cut off! I can't stress enough how important it is to check your work centers and ask about these programs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:47 am

For the states that still have these available, our members should participate. Check with you State website, not through the UC Service Centers. The UC service center monies dried up 2 years ago and were not as thorough as others. In PA, DE and NJ, there is no funding at all for the programs mentioned above through the State. The new budgets completely cut the funding for them last term. If you live somewhere that still has funds available, go for it. They don't heavily advertise it and it's up to the individual to "find" it.

Also, even the States do advertise and utilize the for profit higher learning agencies such as Lincoln Tech, GCIT etc. They are not fully accredited, promise jobs and may leave you with a certification that is not acceptable for all employers. Some will give you the opportunity to build on your certifications and continue taking courses, but not all. You will be given the opportunity to remain on their lists to help secure employment, but there are not guarantees you will get a job through them. As stated above, do your homework. There are enough people scamming the systems to take advantage of the really desperate unemployed, read all the fine print, make sure the courses you take are accredited and make sure they have a list of employers who have agreed to give first consideration to the graduates of their programs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:40 am

MaryKay wrote:For the states that still have these available, our members should participate. Check with you State website, not through the UC Service Centers. The UC service center monies dried up 2 years ago and were not as thorough as others. In PA, DE and NJ, there is no funding at all for the programs mentioned above through the State. The new budgets completely cut the funding for them last term. If you live somewhere that still has funds available, go for it. They don't heavily advertise it and it's up to the individual to "find" it.

Also, even the States do advertise and utilize the for profit higher learning agencies such as Lincoln Tech, GCIT etc. They are not fully accredited, promise jobs and may leave you with a certification that is not acceptable for all employers. Some will give you the opportunity to build on your certifications and continue taking courses, but not all. You will be given the opportunity to remain on their lists to help secure employment, but there are not guarantees you will get a job through them. As stated above, do your homework. There are enough people scamming the systems to take advantage of the really desperate unemployed, read all the fine print, make sure the courses you take are accredited and make sure they have a list of employers who have agreed to give first consideration to the graduates of their programs.

Of course it wasn't heavily promoted, probably only mentioned once, but the US DOL did allocate funds for programs to assist the unemployed in 40 states recently, including NJ and PA. Please read this article and contact your work centers as soon as possible before this funding runs dry again!!!

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org/t4568-us-labor-department-awards-nearly-655-million-to-fund-re-employment-eligibility-assessments-for-ue-in-40-states-pr-and-dc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:36 pm

I'm taking online classes now. While the University of Phoenix doesn't advertise that you will get your dream job, it helps me to keep my mind fresh. It is convenient as it saves gas from traveling. Its challenging as well, for those who think its easy peasy degree, you really have to study, it uses all text books--electronic format--that other colleges use but with that said, It is also acredited. I only go or enroll in accredited institutions. The last one i attended was cosmeology school and learned to cut hair, while they didn't promise I'd get job, I did learn the trade and after I got my license, even that biz wasn't hiring and if they were, its only for experienced. At one time they offering to train you now they do not, here where I live anyway.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:45 am

Good for you Hunter. I have several friends that graduated from Univ. of Phoenix, along with our granddaughters Mom. All were able to transfer their credits once they were re-employed and continued their education with money from their new employers, two continued their education with University of Phoenix as they have a program with many employers for employees to continue their education. In PA Boeing has a program for all employees who would like to continue are eligible from BA to Masters. They are also great because if you travel often it's easy to set your course availability with them. Good luck to you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum