Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp

2 posters

Go down

Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp Empty Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp

Post by DavidB Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:51 pm

I'm curious,

If you're offered a temporary job while you're collecting unemployment comp. and you decline to take the job, is that considered "refusing" the job?
I'm not really clear on what constitutes "refusing" a job.
It seems it would not make much sense to take a three or four week job which would then disqualify you from receiving any more payments from unemployment. Yet they seem to give you the impression that if you "refuse" a job you could also be disqualified, so I'm really confused. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

DavidB

Back to top Go down

Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp Empty Re: Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:17 pm

If the company reports that you refused a job, you will probably be penalized or disqualified from collecting benefits, even if it is only temporary.

Taking a three or four week temporary assignment would not disqualify you from receiving any further benefits once the assignment is over.

My thoughts on this.....take the job! It could lead to a permanent position or ongoing work with a temporary agency. It will fill the employment gaps on your resume and make you more "employable". Believe me, the longer you are out of work, the harder it is to secure a position even at McDonald's.

Back to top Go down

Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp Empty Re: Temporary Jobs and Unemployment Comp

Post by TR11005 Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:29 pm

It depends on which state you are in. It depends on your total situation.

In my state of Ohio you can refuse to go to an interview if the position is below your skill level and education. It is hard to refuse on the wage, it used to be a reason. Can't be forced you to be a Laborer.

What temporary or contract assignment will do will extend your Unemployment Insurance, even if it is a few weeks. Makes you more employable, takes care of job gaps and can give you new skills. I have worked many assignments that last less then a week. In my state if you work for 8 hours that will count towards the next calendar year. Most states you need 20 for the following year. Your Unemployment Insurance can be strech for a whole year! If you have the number of weeks you can start over with this year's work.

What you don't want to do is get into a job situation where you have to quit, because you physically can't do it. Then you should work with that employer and tell them your not a good fit. You don't want to windup working for awhile, just to lose your Unemployment check.
I have even refused the State Employment Office. If not physically able to just that job (bad back or knees) then it is not suitable. I have had both knees have total replacements, that don't make you disabled.

I had one temporary agency that pulled this on me about refusing work. I won if you know your state laws.

TR11005

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum