Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan

5 posters

Go down

Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan Empty Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:40 am

As he met with distressed homeowners in Las Vegas, the foreclosure capital of the nation, Obama announced steps to allow 'underwater' borrowers to refinance their mortgages at today’s ultra-low rates -- near 4 percent...Housing regulators say that 1 million borrowers might be eligible, but that is only one-tenth of the number of homeowners who need help. And while estimates cited by the administration suggest the average homeowner might save $2,500 per year, other projections from housing regulators were in the range of $312 per year."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/wonkbook-obamas-big-new-mortgage-plan/2011/10/25/gIQA8wiFFM_blog.html?wprss=ezra-klein

Back to top Go down

Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan Empty Re: Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:44 am

The other side's opinion on the President's "We Can't Wait" strategy"

The President’s argument is, in effect, “We can’t wait for democracy.” The Constitution gives the power of the purse to the Congress, not the President. If the Congress doesn’t want to enact his proposals, then it shouldn’t, and that’s how the system is supposed to work.
http://keithhennessey.com/2011/10/24/democracy-is-so-inconvenient/?wpisrc=nl_wonk

Back to top Go down

Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan Empty Re: Wonkbook: Obama's big new mortgage plan

Post by TR11005 Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:31 am

Unless they change the rule about being permanently employed for 2 years. Many will not get relief. I just refinanced and they insist that you have a steady income for two years. Most work is still mostly contract or temporary if you can find it and it is not steady.

My secret, if your 62 years old go on Social Security. Then that is steady income. Took less then 3 months to qualify, not 2 years! I was able to get 3.75% for 15 years. If you have a high home equity loan it is smart to do it now, if your having difficulty. It is about 3% now. However, if it goes back to 6% (which, it could do within months), more people will be have big problems. If they do get a job, chances are it will be for less. If your mortgage is over 5.5% then the experts say go for it.

I will still have to work, most likely contract, but this makes being in my house survival. All my retirement savings is now gone. My wife works full time retail with medical benefits. I am collecting a small pension, but at 65 I can collect two other small pensions.

The way I figure it, if you sell then your faced at not getting the true value of your house right now. You will have to rent, so that is throwing money away, especially if your mortgage is less then rent is in your area. Your going to save over 33% over the life of the loan. That will help recover the retirement funds you loss.

The costs of refinancing is not that high, especially if you know your going to be in your house for 5 years. This gives you a sense of security, even if the jobs are not there right now. I work in a profession where you could work all your life on the side. The problem it is not always there like most workers. If you live in a house that you might loose then your going to put less money and work into it. I have a large basement, I could do many projects in that they can't kick you out.

Last edited by TR11005 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:42 pm; edited 2 times in total

TR11005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:39 am

It may not be the greatest plan, but if it can help some get through this, then all the better. Doing nothing and waiting for everyone to foreclose and then have investors rent out homes at ridiculous prices isn't a good answer either. If it takes baby steps, it's better than no steps.

Back to top Go down

Post by TR11005 Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:57 pm

This plan would work great in Las Vegas, where people bought when property was high. Now, they lost their job and the property valve was cut in half. They can't increase there home equity, because now there isn't any.

This would reduce foreclosures. More help needs to be done, it is better then nothing. Bank of America and other bad banks would love to get these houses. Chances are they are in good areas and there is political pressure to help the higher middle class. Houses in poor areas never increased in value like houses in the suburbs. They just dropped in value due to many foreclosures and being poor. I am not picking on the poor, the richer people are getting more of the help.

TR11005

Back to top Go down

Post by tristen303 Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:26 pm

If it saves one house that is one less family hurting so in my mind anything is better then nothing or the staus quo.

tristen303

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:45 am

It's more than the republicans are doing, that's good enough for me.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Falcon7 Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:22 pm

Someone called in to the Clark Howard show a few months ago and said his bank lowered his Mortgage rate to 2% (reducing his payment by over $1,000 A MONTH! He has a +$400,000 loan!) And this guy did nothing, the Bank just did it!
I know this has to be a Gov. program. How do they pick and choose who gets these huge rate reductions?

Falcon7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:56 pm

From the research I have been doing, you can't be in foreclosure, nearing foreclosure or missed any payments. It's for people who they are going to try to keep from going to foreclosure. You have to have a job and be underwater on your home. It doesn't help those already facing foreclosure, but it is something. The next step needs to be those facing foreclosure, to keep the process from going forward. It should be for those unemployed as well, but with extensions taking so long to be granted, it's not a good bet right now. They need help as well.

The program is also not for anyone who couldn't really afford these crazy mortgages in the first place or for those who took out loans against their homes either. Solely for people underwater. But, as they say, baby steps. Hopefully there will be something soon for the unemployed.

Back to top Go down

Post by andrewstone81 Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:29 am

Buying a new home can be a difficult process, especially when choosing which mortgage broker to use. I am also here looking for professional mortgage to get the best deal and a good place for living. Now when the govt. is changing laws frequently I guess mortgage house could go up.
* Moderated, link removed - Solicitation - Please read this Forum's rules"

andrewstone81

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down