Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!  EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!  EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!  EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!  EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!  EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!  EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!  EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!  EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!  EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!  EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!  EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!  EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!  EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!  EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!

5 posters

Go down

Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!  Empty Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:38 pm

What's Happening in the House - Week of June 13

Helping Unemployed Workers by Saving and Fixing the Unemployment Compensation System

The House will take up Senate Bill 1030 (Sen. John Gordner, R-Columbia/Montour/Northumberland/ Snyder/Dauphin/Luzerne), which would save the bankrupt Unemployment Compensation Trust Fund an estimated $137 million per year. While federal emergency unemployment benefits expire Saturday, June 11, for 135,000 out-of-work Pennsylvanians, there is still time to pass this necessary legislation and get it to the governor’s before there is a disruption in benefits. The bill will:

Require an active job search – Pennsylvania is the only state where a job search is not required.

Increase the minimum weekly benefit rate.

Create a severance pay offset (32 states take into account dismissal pay, nine states prohibit people from receiving UC benefits while receiving severance pay).

Establish standards of willful misconduct and refine current law to modify eligibility benefits for people who voluntarily quit their job. These are standards similar to those in 40 other states.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/pennsylvania-house-republican-caucus/whats-happening-in-the-house-week-of-june-13/192069217506856

Back to top Go down

Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!  Empty Re: Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!

Post by Atctz Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:04 pm

Now lets hope they pass it and Corbett signs it.
Atctz
Atctz

Back to top Go down

Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!  Empty Re: Pennsylvania Residents - Looks like good news!

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:20 pm

Good luck! Im praying for all UE Pennsylvania residents. Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by anjelita13 Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:34 pm

Awesome! If this passes, will we be eligible for just the remainder of the 13 weeks of EB we have left or will we be able to move onto the 2nd tier (the 7 last weeks) of EB?

anjelita13

Back to top Go down

Post by Atctz Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:00 pm

I believe this is only for the initial 13 weeks or regular EB. The7 week Hub EB is triggered by an unemployment level of 8% and is not part of the three year look back. Since we are now at 7.5% I do not believe that Hub will continue.
Atctz
Atctz

Back to top Go down

Post by mj33 Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:29 pm

this may be good news, however PA is facing drastic educational budget related issues , and this is not good for 2 or 4 year students AT ALL, this concern was even raised today at the hearing committee on CSpan with regards to job creation, and PA has the most universities/higher learning institutions in the US.

mj33

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:04 pm

Many students who attend those universities are from out of state.

While I certainly am concerned about the future of education, and worry if Pell Grants and student loans will even be in existence when my granddaughter is ready for college, the issue right now for thousands of families is survival - food on the table and a roof over their heads. That concern cannot wait any longer. People are suffering and it is a real humanitarian crisis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:13 pm

Let's hope the Governor signs this. He is not one that can be trusted and not a fan of the unemployed. Also, it is not correct that PA does not require Active Searches. I had to fill out a form when on EB, keep a record of searches weekly and when I had to attend one of the three meetings I received a notice for, I had to present that. I also had to be registered at CareerLink. For HUPEB, you have to fill out forms and mail them every two weeks. I have to agree with Desp. The education benefits and credits and pell grants are necessary, but do not belong with this legislation. It is an issue that should be handled seperately. Penn State, Temple are meeting with the Governor and have met with him several times on that issue. Public elementary and high schools are also on the chopping block of Governor Corbett, but his wife's pet issues on the arts education were not, the state legislature pushed back and won on that one.

Back to top Go down

Post by mj33 Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:16 pm

good point desperate, I was just mentioning as that appears to be a major crises as they pointed out, and is unfortunate for those that were blatently lied to, since was in state of PA, first UI issues and now lack of educational opport's for those enrolled in univ. programs.

While many students may be out of state, we know major univ's that attend Div. 2 colleges are in-state students, taht I do know from attending a state university in PA early part of this decade, as does the current indiv. who brought up this major issue today, and even univ. of Pittsburgh and Penn State has large portion of ''in state'' students, so they all are unfortunately affected.

I thought Ohio had its fair share of higher ed. issues, wow, Mary Kay, it appears PA is in real world of hurt, or 'transition' period that with time will work itself out. Lot of good universities, tech schools, and 2 year programs there, so hope they get it worked out.

mj33

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:31 am

I don't know all the details, but as recently as the 7th, the AFL-CIO opposed this bill because

"...the Labor & Industry committee amended SB 1030 adding several of the provisions that were contained in Rep. Scott Perry’s HB 916. The fight needs to continue on the House Floor where Rep. Gene DiGirolamo will offer amendments that bring SB 1030 back to being a reasonable bill. We need everyone to contact the following Republican Representatives and urge them to SUPPORT Rep. DiGirolamo’s amendments and/or motions:

Rep. Frank Farry

Rep. Joe Hackett

Rep. John Evans

Rep. Steven Barrar

Rep. Denny O’Brien

Rep. John Taylor

Rep. Jim Marshall

Rep. Nick Micozzie

Rep. Tom Murt

Rep. Scott Petri

Rep. Tom Killion

Rep. Nick Miccarelli

Rep. John Payne

Rep. Mike Fleck

Rep. Dick Stevenson

Rep. Jerry Stern

Rep. Rick Geist

Rep. Tim Hennessey

Rep. Bob Godshall

Rep. Marguerite Quinn

Rep. Michelle Brooks

Rep. Mike Vereb

Rep. Joe Emrick

Rep. Kurt Masser

Rep. Rick Saccone

Rep. Justin Simmons

Rep. Todd Stephens

Rep. Mike Tobash

Rep. Tarah Toohill

..."

These guys just never stop. You have to dog them every step of the way to the bitter end or they'll still slip the poison pills in. Words cannot express how fed up I am with them. I've voted Republican locally in years past because here in Western PA, lots of Dems are pretty much like Repubs, but after the devastation I watched them cause over the last decade, never again.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:04 pm

I don't feel good about this bill.

Rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:25 pm

I think it's wise for everyone in PA to write the Governor and their individual reps. for help and support. This won't help the 99ers, but the look back will help those recently expired and about to expire. Nothing is every a sure thing. I am not sure we can trust the Gov. in PA, he definitely is not a fan of unemployment and has an agenda he keeps tight lipped about. He refuses to let the press attend sessions and holds few if any press conferences. I will be writing my former reps. Living in NJ now but my unemployment was PA until last May.
The fact that they think 7.5%-8% is low enough to cut benefits is beyone my grasp. I would also contact your Federal Reps from PA as well. In Phila B. Brady and C. Fattah are big supporters of the unemployed and may be able to direct us as to who needs to hear from us that we may not know of. I will contact them on Monday and see what response I get from them. I think our Senators need to be contacted as well. Toomey will not help, but Casey will.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:28 pm

We can start a troubled school topic if you'd like. In PA the troubles are many but don't belong here. We who live there could write volumes.

Back on topic, I think it might be a really good idea to let Gov. Corbett get faxes and emails and calls as well. He needs to know we are most definitely keeping informed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Atctz Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:19 pm

I totally agree on contacting Corbetts office and letting him know to support legislation that would enable the three year look back for the unemployed. The only reason I am more optimistic about this bill passing is it seems to have the support of republicans in it, and that may make all the difference. If 589 could gather some republican support that might make all the difference as well.
Atctz
Atctz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:32 pm

I absolutely agree Atctz. I am just fearful of Gov. Corbett, you just never know with him. But PA has the distinction of having some realistic republicans and their areas are hard hit. Now if we could just convert some Repubs in DC maybe we could get HR589 to a vote. But it needs support on both sides before they do that or it will go down in flames once it hits the floor. I am contacting all Republicans first when I send the emails, then the Dems as I feel it does have Democratic support and I keep hoping if they hear from me as well as others, maybe I can wear them down, I doubt I would ever be able to convert them, lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:44 pm

Rose wrote:I don't feel good about this bill.

None of you should feel good about this...that's what I'm trying to tell you...it's got the same crappy Republican stuff in it that House Billl 916 had that we were so glad got shot down. They're trying to sneak it back in again, which is what I meant when I said they never stop.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Atctz Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:56 pm

Joan I totally agree that this is not a bill that is about helping the unemployed, or something to feel good about, but I have to say in this political climate that we are in, this may be as good as we can get for that continuation of EB. I wish we could have leaders with enough compassion and sense of duty to do what is right for those who have suffered and need help, and just pass the EB fix and worry about other stuff in other debates but they won't. If this does not pass I'm not sure if EB would be continued at all. With our unemployment level at 7.5% they may just let it go.
Atctz
Atctz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Having read this on the website, while it extends benefits it's good, however, their are other items that could actually hurt the unemployed. When they look back over your last 4 quarters they average your weekly benefit rate, if they go back further and say you have worked your way up and earn considerably more now, it could hurt the unemployed by reducing that rate. The whole job sharing thing is scary as is the severance and dismissal payouts. They will try and average that out per week and allow you to collect after that is gone, not allowing the unemployed to save that for emergencies or just to have a cushion, so to speak.

Back to top Go down

Post by Atctz Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:37 pm

After researching it, I totally agree that it is not a good bill for unemployed. I do have to ask this though. With PA unemployment at 7.5% and apparently going down. A government that is going out of it's way to downplay the economic crisis that we are in. With all the talk from President Obama about how the recovery is working, we are just hitting some bumps in the road, all the bs that is happening with the exhaustees and how they are all being shoved out and forgotten, all the fudging of unemployment numbers, all the crap that has gone on the past year. With all that, if this bill is not approved do you think they will even try another bill or approach, or will they just let the EB end? In NC they had I believe an almost 2 month wait after EB ended before they got something passed,and if I'm not mistaken they had like over 9% unemployment! With PA at 7.5% would they even bother to try another bill?
Atctz
Atctz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum