Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Take Caution... EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Take Caution... EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Take Caution... EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Take Caution... EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Take Caution... EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Take Caution... EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Take Caution... EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Take Caution... EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Take Caution... EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Take Caution... EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Take Caution... EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Take Caution... EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Take Caution... EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Take Caution... EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Take Caution... EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Take Caution...

4 posters

Go down

Take Caution... Empty Take Caution...

Post by steveninspokane Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:25 am

I would just advise when replying to ads on places such as Craigslist, that you take caution.

Some ads request that you send your cover and resume to a masked (by craigslist) email address, and I have found that 10 times out of 10, they are usually con's or spam artists.

I would suggest doing what I do, and that is sending an email stating your interest, but requesting that they reply with a valid company email or web address for you to submit your information to.

I have actually received emails back from these spammers that thank me for my resume (tho I never sent it) and want me to sign up on some web page.

Just a woord to the wise. Smile
steveninspokane
steveninspokane

Back to top Go down

Take Caution... Empty Re: Take Caution...

Post by Guest Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:31 am

Craigslist is full of scammers and robo-responders who blanket CL Listings with automatic email responders. They basically scan the listings and send out mass emails about scams that they are programmed to spread. I receive them from time to time ...

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:33 am

Never delete your post until your stuff is sold.
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:44 am

Exactly. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kulkulkan Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:42 pm

First-time poster, long time lurker! Unemployed for 8 months, nothing compared to some of you, though.

One thing I've learned is to copy the text of the ad and paste into the search engine, and lo and behold the majority of the time the same ad appears dozens of times! Guaranteed scam! Also, it is just best policy to disregard anything that does not say who they are. One that cracks me up is one allegedly for a hotel front desk position which asked to apply in person, yet failed to say where! Failed the Google test, obviously.
Kulkulkan
Kulkulkan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:49 pm

Thanks for the post, Kulkulkan ... great info ... Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployeddiva Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:08 pm

I've been pretty successful in getting interviews on CL. Actually about 95% of my interviews came from CL.

But yea some of the postings are flat out obvious. The whole using the CL email address isn't always true. Actually I get more scam emails from the addresses ending in @gmail.com @yahoo.com and @aol.com embedded in the ad. A pretty decent sized company will most likely have a company email address although there are some small companies that do use free servers. Also a lot of companies use the CL email because they don't want people calling them about the position. Same goes for not listing the company... they just don't want the phone calls.

Two obvious scam-ads are:
Lack of information about location. I used to live in the Inland Empire and the inland empire is HUGE, 100's of miles. Scam artists don't realize this and will just use Inland Empire as the city. Also not even posting a city is always a red-flag. Or just posting the state. Or a different city entirely.

Too good to be true. We all know that a cashier or Receptionist isn't bringing in $25 a hour. Not these days. Also when they mention things like "Use of the company car and credit card. 20 vacation days. Access to the company gym, etc etc " Most likely a scam. Not saying a company won't do this. But they probably won't be mentioning it in an ad.

I noticed that job ads listing every single detail about the job are scams. Especially when the details are the perks of working for that company. Most legit jobs that I have applied for.. the ad was short and to the point.

Another thing is a reply right after you email them.. like within seconds/minutes. Scam. They will always be asking you either do a credit check OR apply using a link. If they wanted you to apply using a link to another website, they would have mentioned in an ad. Same with the credit check. They would have told you before you applied that you have to do a credit check before even interviewing.

On thing I will mention is that some people will tell you not to send your resume right away and to email them first. No no no. You won't get an email back and you just missed out on a potential job. Can you imagine posting an ad, receiving 50 replies, and then returning all those emails just to get a resume? Yea.. not happening. Email them your resume/phone number but leave out the address and names/phone numbers if your references.

unemployeddiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum