Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Should unemployment benefits be cut? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Should unemployment benefits be cut? EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Should unemployment benefits be cut? EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Should unemployment benefits be cut? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Should unemployment benefits be cut? EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Should unemployment benefits be cut? EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Should unemployment benefits be cut? EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Should unemployment benefits be cut? EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Should unemployment benefits be cut? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Should unemployment benefits be cut? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Should unemployment benefits be cut? EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Should unemployment benefits be cut? EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Should unemployment benefits be cut? EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Should unemployment benefits be cut? EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Should unemployment benefits be cut? EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Should unemployment benefits be cut?

+5
laine25
lizalphonso
tbucsfan56
lendmeflight2
Jobless_in_Ma
9 posters

Go down

Should unemployment benefits be cut? Empty Should unemployment benefits be cut?

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:18 pm

The efforts to roll back and tighten standard state jobless benefits comes even as growing numbers of unemployed are joining the so-called 99ers — laid off workers who have exhausted their maximum 99 weeks of jobless aid. As of March 22, more than 371,000 Californians had exhausted their benefits according to the state Employment Development Department. It is not known how many of those have since found work.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/cut-293913-unemployment-weeks.html

Back to top Go down

Should unemployment benefits be cut? Empty Re: Should unemployment benefits be cut?

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:48 pm

Interesting to note:

1. Since the tax cut extension was tied to a 1 year unemployment extension, that provisions that they would not be allowed to change the terms would not have been forseen.

2. It is not known how many of the "so-called" 99ers have found employment.

Sadly, this is our problem.

Back to top Go down

Should unemployment benefits be cut? Empty Re: Should unemployment benefits be cut?

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:05 pm

They could know if they really wanted to know.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:20 pm

I totally agree, they don't want to know and they have mechanisms in place that each state could use to contact those that stopped collecting at the cut off points. They don't reach out. That's why we need to keep screaming and writing and calling and faxing and tweeting.

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:34 pm

I don't think on a state level that they have the man power to follow up. At least I know my state doesn't. I assume by reaching out you mean calling or contacting all of these people but that sounds like a logistical nightmare. The system was never set up to handle volume like this. It's also not as simple as looking at how many people have been hired. A friend of mine just picked up a second part time job and the government has no way of knowing if they hired someone who was already employed or a 99er.

lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:58 pm

It's not that hard lendme. They run programs every month. Additions/Deletions. They can send out one mailing starting with January 2009. They have all the records. Each person that drops off each month can be contacted with a survey type letter. They are completely computerized now, most are using debit cards or direct deposit making it so much easier to track. They can also ask that each person who did collect but has exhausted contact them and build a file on how many are employed and how many are not, how many are p/t vs f/t. I really believe it's not being done because they don't want the figures out in the media as to how many there really are. They can't make the numbers look good if we are all still counted. And, by unemployment rules, you are not counted as re-employed if you do not have full time employment and a wage within a certain percentage of what you earned prior to layoff. Such as if you were laid off making $55,000 were two years unemployed and have now only found work for 15-20 hrs per week at 8.50/hr, you are considered under-employed, not re-employed.

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:50 pm

Well, it could be done through a survey but that still wouldn't be accurate. From dealing with similar ways of contacting people on other issues in the past, I think that a lot of people won't respond anyway. There should be some way to track the 99er's, I agree.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:57 pm

If they REALLY wanted to know they would find a way. How about keeping the unemployment system open for those who have exhausted and change the questions to, are you still out of work etc, or something along those lines?

Were talking one line added to the question page we have to answer every week.
Im sure its a bit more complicated than that, but not so much it cant be done. This is ofcourse "IF" they TRULY wanted to know.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:12 pm

Actually that's a good idea. That would get people to comply by requiring that they still register to get benefits if they are extended again. They have system like this in England. The difference there of course is that you still collect as long as you are out of work.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by tbucsfan56 Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:37 pm

Not even near the time for cutting benefits. There are to many unemployed and no jobs in site. I had a full time position that I was to start a week ago today but the budget was cut so now I have to wait until July so they can make up the money needed to start me. So there are no jobs guaranteed.

tbucsfan56

Back to top Go down

Post by lizalphonso Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:03 am

Oh I think they government haw a fairly accurate idea of how many are unemployed, it is just advantageous for them to play dumb about it.

lizalphonso

Back to top Go down

Post by laine25 Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:01 am

lizalphonso wrote:Oh I think they government haw a fairly accurate idea of how many are unemployed, it is just advantageous for them to play dumb about it.

I agree. In my state it is now 9.6% but I think it is much higher. I also think our elected officials should take a pay cut. They are paid too much for what they do.
laine25
laine25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:41 am

I have to agree, they don't want the numbers published. Everything is computerized. They can run a patch pulling all 99 received weeks on claims for the past two and a half years. From that, they can run SS# check, of those that were claiming, no SS activity, they can then contact or as stated, ask those to keep doing a non-process claim. Log on, complete job searches or whatever you state requires you to do and enter. They then have a data base of all still looking for work, not receiving benefits. We could then be contacted through their careerlink servicers if any jobs become available, any job fairs etc. Truly, they don't want the numbers published, think of global economy, the dollar value, the housing market, and the Almighty Stock Market. That's why these two days are so important. I am contacting the news stations faithful to the cause of the 99ers as well. At some point, they will want to really start investigating this story, get the true numbers and run with it. Should unemployment benefits be cut? 34243

Back to top Go down

Post by rainer123 Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:35 pm

I believe that the DOL will have the unemployment rate under 8% by the time President Obama is nominated for re-election.

rainer123

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunrise Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:39 pm

rainer123 wrote:I believe that the DOL will have the unemployment rate under 8% by the time President Obama is nominated for re-election.

Sure because it will not include those that have fallen off the ranks - the exhaustees.

It just makes me mad that they are lying and painting such a pretty picture for the rest of America and the world.
Frustrated
Sunrise
Sunrise

Back to top Go down

Post by js123 Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:48 pm

Citizens should have an extension to their unemployment benefits until they find jobs. England and Germany extends the benefits, so why shouldn't we have it here.
js123
js123

Back to top Go down

Post by tristen303 Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:43 pm

They want the numbers down so Obama has a shot at re-election if they are still high he's done. Like Reagan and the Repubs did, Obama and the Dems are doing now

tristen303

Back to top Go down

Post by js123 Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:06 pm

tristen303 wrote:They want the numbers down so Obama has a shot at re-election if they are still high he's done. Like Reagan and the Repubs did, Obama and the Dems are doing now

All the dirty tricks that are only playing games with over 15 millions lives. I hope God will punish them, money can't buy God in the end.

mad
js123
js123

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum